Location: Wooleen Station, 700kms northeast of Perth, Western Australia.(Closest town 200kms)
Duration: Mid to late March – Mid to late October 2021
(happy to negotiate longer/shorter stays )
Wooleen is located north-east of Perth in the outback and is an award-winning eco Station Stay. We firmly believe that tourism should help nurture conservation and rehabilitation of our natural and cultural heritage. We offer various forms of accommodation including hosted Homestead Stays, self-contained guesthouses, a range of camping options, and at times, contractor accommodation.
The property is an expansive 325,000 acres offering hiking trails, self-drives, birdwatching, mountain biking, and history.
Wooleen is also a cattle station dedicated to the restoration and sustainable use of the rangelands. Working at Wooleen is considered a unique and distinct opportunity to be part of a conservation effort recognised by the Australian Nation.
The station is currently run by Frances and David who have 4 friendly dogs, chickens, a large vegetable patch and a small herd of cows. To learn more about the station, please watch this episode of Australian Story.
Your duties would include:
- Mowing the lawns, raking the yard, watering and general yard appearance
- Rubbish runs/removal
- Gas bottle replacement
- General handyman and repairs and maintenance to accommodation
- Firewood collection and chopping, plus cleaning out fireplaces and firepits
- Road dragging to reduce corrugations
- Track and trail maintenance for hiking and walking trails.
- Vehicle maintenance/servicing (if you hold these skills)
- Occasional stints fencing, water runs and other station-related jobs (please note this is a minor part of the role. This is NOT a station hand position).
- Assisting with the hospitality and tourism side of the business which will entail foodservice/waiting and dishes shared amongst our team.
- Welding skills and creativity are a bonus!
What you'll need to succeed
The successful applicant will need to have:
- Happy, sociable personality
- Manners, willingness, and easy-going nature to contribute as part of a small team
- Ability to prioritise tasks in an efficient manner, use initiative, work unsupervised and take ownership of your role.
- Good presentation. Clean and tidy habits, including high standards of hygiene and cleanliness
- Manual Drivers License
- Safe and responsible use of basic power tools (chainsaw, lawnmower, drill etc)
- Ability to engage with customers in a genuine and meaningful way.
- Have an appreciation for nature and the outdoors and be up for an adventure
- Triple vaccination of a TGA‑approved vaccination OR a valid vaccination exemption (Government mandate)
Wooleen Station will supply all meals, amenities, uniforms, and shared accommodation (your own room including linen and towels) as part of your remuneration package.
A weekly 20GB WIFI allowance. No access to mobile tower reception for over 150kms (unless using wifi calling). Closest town 200kms.
Please enquire about remuneration details. We offer a flat weekly wage + food and accommodation + 10% superannuation.
Preferably non-smoking, no dogs, and no dietary requirements – but we are negotiable.
To become part of our team, send detailed information about yourself and a resume to email@example.com
We're proud to acknowledge the Traditional Owners, the Wajarri Yamatiji people, in which we live and work. We recognise and respect the enduring relationship they have with their lands and water, and pay our respects to Elders, past and present.